The popularity of robot vacuum cleaners has skyrocketed in the last few years, and for a good reason: these cleaners can save you a ton of time and energy.
Just think: no more lifting your finger while sweeping, mopping, or vacuuming. Instead, your robotic vacuum cleaner will do the job for you while you catch up on Netflix, read a book, or spend some time with your significant other. Isn’t it convenient and relaxing!
So, here is a complete overview of robotic vacuum cleaners that will let you know every aspect of it.
Let’s start with;
What is a Robot Vacuum Cleaner?
Robotic vacuum cleaners, also known as “Robovac,” are the automated assistants that automatically vacuum and clean your house floor. They can be programmed to clean the floor in designated areas, such as the living room, kitchen, or bedroom. They operate by using sensors that detect obstacles in order to avoid them. Some models use algorithms to determine the best path for cleaning and vacuuming.
The robot vacuum cleaners are powered by rechargeable batteries and are generally designed to pick up pet hair and small debris. The top models, however, are equipped with a “mapping” feature and programmed to clean individual sections of a room.
All in all, they can tackle your house cleaning job while you take the day at your own pace.
How Do Robot Vacuum Cleaners Work?
Robot Vacuum Cleaners work the same way as regular vacuums (brushing and sucking up dirt) but without any manual intervention. The machines use artificial intelligence to map a room and detect obstacles, then sweep, vacuum, and mop the floors in the most efficient manner.
Most of the robotic vacuums come with one or two spinning brushes paired with one or more rolling brushes. Once you switch it on, these work together to sift up all the dirt, debris, and pet hair inwards, while the vacuum mechanism sucks these materials into the dirt chamber inside it.
Once the dirt chamber is filled, you typically have to empty it by yourself once a week, or the cleaning tendency also depends on how frequently you use it. Some high-end models have the ability to empty the bin themselves.
Well, this is the basic working mechanism of a robotic vacuum cleaner. The actual working mechanism of robovacs depends on their navigating sensors, which makes them different from the regular vacuum cleaners.
To clean out your house floor, a robot vacuum needs to move freely without hitting any obstacle. That’s why they are equipped with various sensors to detect the obstacles and other hazards, so they can work freely without any interruptions.
These onboard sensors allow them to avoid obstacles, move through optimal cleaning paths and navigate the new spaces to clean.
The best part is that these vacuum cleaners are very tiny and compact, so they can reach every small corner and underneath furniture with ease. For the places they are unable to reach and inevitably bump into, they use sensors to guide them.
Read More: How Does a Robot Vacuum Cleaner Navigate?
Types of Robot Vacuum Cleaners
1. Single Purpose Robot Vacuum
These robotic vacuums use spinning brushes and offer only dry sweeping and vacuuming to clean the area.
2. Hybrid Robot Vacuums (Robot Vacuums with Mop)
Hybrid robot vacuums or robot vacuum and mop combos can perform multiple operations, including sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping simultaneously. These smart vacuums come with a water reservoir attached to a mopping pad. When the robot moves along, the water sprays through the pad. This damp pad then mops the floor to get rid of spills, stains, and other debris like steam mops.
Check for The Best Robot Vacuums and Mop
Smart Features of Robotic Vacuum
1. Multiple Cleaning Modes
Robot vacuum cleaners come with various cleaning modes to cater to different cleaning needs. These modes include:
Auto Mode- This cleaning mode is used for regular and general cleaning of your house.
Spot Mode- You can select this mode to clean a specific dirty area for spot cleaning.
Turbo Mode- This mode is useful to clean the most soiled and dirtiest areas.
Edge Mode- Like the name, the mode is suitable for the cleaning of edges and corners.
This is the most important feature of any robot vacuum. The smart mapping system allows the robovac to map your house; or in other words, it helps to navigate the layout of your home. It makes the robot understand easily how the house looks like. It then creates the most effective path for cleaning your house and doesn’t miss any area while cleaning.
Another best benefit of mapping functionality is that the robot does not go over the same spot twice, thus saving its battery life and making cleaning faster and more efficient.
Check for The Best Robot Vacuums with Mapping Technology
3. Virtual No-Go Lines
The virtual boundaries block or restrict the movement of robot vacuum to certain areas, zones cleaning, or cleaning any particular room.
4. Wet Mopping
Some smart robotic vacuums come with wet mopping feature too, and are known as hybrid robot mops or robot vacuum and mop combos (we have already discussed above). These vacuums can sweep, vacuum, and mop in a single go.
5. Anti-Drop and Anti-Collision
Most of the robot vacuums include IR sensors that prevent them from falling off stairs or other high places and from hitting any objects and obstacles.
This feature allows the robot vacuums to automatically turn away while reaching any obstacle.
7. Schedule Cleaning
Using this mode, you can schedule your vacuum cleaning every day for a smooth, regular cleaning routine. With the schedule cleaning function, the robovac can be set up to clean your house automatically whenever you want, either when you are not at home or during a specific time period of the day. This mode is ideal for busy homeowners or working persons.
Advantages of Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
- Robot Vacuum cleaners can clean your floors without any manual intervention. Just program it, and it will do the job for you.
- Due to its compact size and small footprint, it can clean hard to reach spots and underneath furniture with ease.
- It saves you a lot of time. You can do other household chores while your robotic vacuum cleans your floors, freeing up your time to do so.
- Robot Vacuums are the best choice for cleaning hard floors.
- It is a great cleaning tool for the elderly and people with injuries or disabilities.
- Since it is a cordless vacuum cleaner, the device doesn’t need to be plugged in and out repeatedly.
- It makes cleaning easier and faster.
- Some smart robotic vacuums have the ability to stay connected to your home Wi-Fi, allowing you to control it remotely using your smartphone or tablet. This way, you can clean your house from any location.
To know more benefits of robotic vacuum cleaners, please check Reasons Why You Should Choose a Robot Vacuum Cleaner?
Disadvantages of Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
- Robot vacuum cleaners are typically more expensive than regular vacuums, including upright, canister, handheld, or stick.
- They are not so efficient in cleaning carpets and soft surfaces.
- Robot vacuums have short battery life.
- You can’t use a robotic vacuum cleaner to clean stairs, sofas, couches, and curtains, etc.
- It takes a long time to clean as compared to the regular vacuum cleaners.
How to Choose The Best Robot Vacuum Cleaner?
Finding the best robot vacuum is not as easy as it sounds. Sure, there are plenty of options on the market, but how do you know which one will be the best for your home? Choosing the right robot vacuum cleaner means evaluating a number of key factors. Some essential features of a good robotic vacuum include:
- Choose a trustworthy and best robotic vacuum brand only.
- It must have a good battery life that can tackle the longer cleaning sessions.
- Look for the options that require less maintenance to save your money.
- Best to choose the one that has a stronger suction force and low noise operation.
- Check out the warranty service.
- It must have good customer support and after-sales service too.
To Know More Details, Check Our Robot Vacuum Cleaner Buying Guide
Robot Vacuum Cleaners Price
Robot vacuums differ in price depending on their brand, features, and functionalities. Well, the basic models are available, ranging from Rs 12,500 to Rs 20,000. However, if you want hi-tech features and functionalities like wi-fi and voice compatibility, etc., in your robotic vacuum, you may have to spend from Rs 25,000 to Rs 1,50,000.
Better to decide your need and cleaning preferences first and then invest in a model with a budget suiting your requirements.
Cleaning and Maintenance of Robot Vacuum Cleaners
To maintain the cleaning efficiency and longevity of the unit, the robot vacuum needs regular cleaning and maintenance.
- All the models come with a cleaning and maintenance guide that you need to follow to protect the unit from any wear and tear.
- The robotic vacuums are bagless and come with a dirt compartment to store dirt and debris inside them. It is easily removable to empty the dirt collected inside it. The most important point is that you must empty the dirt compartment on a regular basis depending on the amount of dirt it picks up as well as the manufacturer’s specifications. Some hi-tech models have the capability of auto-emptying the dirt cabin when it gets full. Regular cleaning of the dirt compartment maintains the suction power and cleaning efficiency of the vacuum.
- Filters are another most important component of the robotic vacuums that require frequent cleaning. Most of the models are equipped with HEPA filters that are washable and reusable.
- Regular cleaning of the main brush under the vacuum and the side brush is also very important to prevent it from the accumulation of dirt that can cause malfunction of the device.
- Likewise, the right and left drive wheels, as well as the castor wheels, should be checked for debris accumulation and maintained regularly.